[ckan-dev] questions on resources import / export

Emanuele Tajariol etj.mlist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 16:02:13 UTC 2013

Hi Elena,

in a couple of deploy we did, we used CKAN and GeoNetwork in the same node.
CKAN is used as user frontend, and publishes both geo and non-geo datasets.
GeoNetwork is used for CSW access.
CKAN harvests the geographic metadata from GN using CSW, while the non-geo
dataset are edited directly on CKAN. Geographic metadata are of course edited
on GeoNetwork.

If you have different catalogues that should interact, it's usually a good idea
to use existing standards (CSW for geographic datasets, for instance).
Using internal formats (such as querying Solr) may be more efficient, but then
you would be tied to a specific version of the application and its internal
model; some more work would be needed every time internal formats change.
Just my 2¢ :)

   Cheers,
   Emanuele

--