[ckan-dev] datacats, DataCats.com beta and CKAN-Multisite

Ian Ward ian at excess.org
Tue Mar 17 14:46:04 UTC 2015

Announcing the public release of new open source CKAN developer tools
"datacats", the DataCats.com call for beta testers and the start of work
on CKAN-Multisite.

datacats[1] is a command-line tool that uses Docker to manage CKAN
development environments. With datacats you can create and start
running a CKAN dev environment with one command. You can easily share
environments, install extensions and execute commands, all without
being a Docker expert.

[1]: https://github.com/boxkite/datacats

DataCats.com is a service to publish CKAN web sites built with
datacats. It's now in beta and we're accepting users on a
first-come-first-served basis. With a DataCats.com account you can
publish your CKAN sites in seconds. Developer accounts (that's you,
ckan-dev) are free.

Finally with the support of US Open Data we're building the open
source CKAN-Multisite[2] project on datacats. CKAN-Multisite will be a
tool for non-developers to create and manage multiple similar CKAN
sites through a simple web interface. This project is just in the
planning stages, and we'd love to hear how you would like to use
CKAN-Multisite, please join in on the discussion on github [3].

[2]: https://usopendata.org/2014/12/08/ckan-multisite/
[3]: https://github.com/opendata/CKAN-Multisite/issues

Denis and I have been building CKAN sites with datacats for a while
now but it's still very new. Please try it, use it and help us make it
the quickest and easiest way to build custom CKAN data catalogs.

Thanks!

Ian and Denis