[ckan-dev] DCAT JSON harvester license property not importing

Stefan Oderbolz stefan.oderbolz at liip.ch
Wed Feb 15 08:16:31 UTC 2017

Hi Cam,

I guess you are not using a custom DCAT profile, because then the default
profile is being used which is "euro_dcat_ap", which is defined here:
https://github.com/ckan/ckanext-dcat/blob/e1245cdb5e29194787c33430db637be74e5bc2e1/ckanext/dcat/profiles.py#L577
This profile does not define licenses on a dataset level, but only in a
level of a distribution (a.k.a. resources). Which DCAT-AP standard do you
want to harvest?

It might be needed to create your own profile to define exactly
this specifities. The process to do so is described in the README:
https://github.com/ckan/ckanext-dcat#profiles

I hope this helps.

Best regards Stefan

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 7:57 PM, Cam Findlay <cam at camfindlay.com> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Has anyone else had trouble with the DCAT JSON harvester in particular the
> license property not being set on the harvested dataset?
>
> Our JSON source includes at the dataset level:
>
> "license": "https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/",
>
> However the final result is no license gets set for the dataset post
> harvest. I'd expect "Creative Commons Attribution" to show up but we get
> nothing. If I edit the dataset and manually set the license then it shows
> fine. So it seems to be lost on import for some reason.
>
> No problems with the CKAN to CKAN harvester, we get the license correctly
> so just checking if there is any known issues around DCAT JSON and license
> properties.
>
> Trying to determine if it's extension related or a problem at our end.
>
> (Running CKAN 2.6.X, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS)
>
> Thanks in advance :)
>
> Cam.

Liip AG  // Limmatstrasse 183 //  CH-8005 Zürich
Tel +41 43 500 39 80 // GnuPG 0x7B588C67 // www.liip.ch