[ckan-discuss] Why can't I view package dbtune-audioscrobbler?

Richard Cyganiak richard at cyganiak.de
Fri Aug 20 20:07:37 BST 2010

On 20 Aug 2010, at 15:04, David Read wrote:
> Many thanks for all this useful feedback! The status attribute appears
> on package edit form only for sysadmins, so your edit shouldn't have
> affected it. I've opened a ticket to track down what happened in this
> case:
>
> http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/trac/ticket/460

Thanks! I added a comment.

> Some of the confusion here is because you could 'see' the package in
> CKAN because you were its owner, (whereas no-one else could) and yet
> the state of 'deleted' took precedence over the permissions settings.

Yes -- I could look at the package while logged in, but didn't realize
that it was deleted because the state is not really clear from the
package view screen.

(Not sure if it matters, but according to the diffs in the history
view, the state was "None" not "deleted".)

> Ideas are welcome for a way to improve this aspect.

I think deleted packages are only indicated by the value of the State
dropdown?

How about adding something big and red to the package view screen
(maybe a bright red box on the top of the right sidebar saying "THIS
PACKAGE IS DELETED". This would have helped me. I still wouldn't know
how the package became deleted, but it would explain the behaviour.

Also, viewing a deleted package when not allowed to see it should
result in a "410 Gone" HTTP response and a note that the package has
been deleted. (Currently it shows the login form.)

Also, accessing a deleted package in the API should result in a "410
Gone" rather than the current "403 Authorization Required".

Best,
Richard