[ckan-discuss] Suggestion and Question

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Mar 4 19:14:11 GMT 2010

On 4 March 2010 00:18, David Eaves <david at eaves.ca> wrote:
> Hi Rufus,
>
> Wanted to loop back to two issues that we talked about ages ago - to see if
> the functionality already existed in CKAN.
>
> First is - is it possible to customize the drop down menus?

Yes -- as with all code :) but the question is how easily ...

> For example under license - the drop menu has a ton of options. I'd love to
> weed out those that don't happen in Canada, plus add a few (like Crown
> Copyright) that do. Is this possible to do on our ca.ckan.net install?).

This is something that can be quite easily done as our existing
license list is already pulled externally but it will require a small
bit of refactoring.

> Also, can we create drop down menus? For example, under data maintainer - it
> would be interesting a drop down menu limited to the ministries - this would
> reduce typing errors when people register new packages.

This is also definitely possible though requires a little bit more
effort. It also makes me think we may want to thing of generic
(plugin-type) way of supporting this going forward as this isn't the
only customization I can imagine people want to do.

> Second - It is possible to create some administrative functions within CKAN?
> For example, I would be great if anyone can add a package, but it might be
> nice for it not to be "published" until it has been reviewed by an
> administrator. Is this possible on ca.ckan.net?

Yes, this is already basically possible (though in a slightly hacky
way): set the state of the package to deleted rather than active as an
administrator. Going forward I think we may want better support for
this via an explicit "pending" state. It would be good also to think a
little more about what is behind this use-case.

Regards,

Open Knowledge Foundation