[ckan-discuss] communication between users on ckan

Jo Walsh jo.walsh at ed.ac.uk
Thu May 27 16:15:15 BST 2010

dear Olav, all,

On 27/05/2010 15:49, Olav Anders Øvrebø wrote:
> The idea: What about a new tab at package level called Discussion, like
> in Wikipedia. Both contributing users and those looking for data
> packages will often have questions or ideas regarding the package that
> they want to discuss. Perhaps suggestions to the data owner on how to
> publish data in a different format etc.

It looks like a good idea.

I vaguely recall discussing this with Rufus. One issue that arises here
is to do with package versions and stale discussions - e.g. issues to do
with errors in data, or tools needed to work with it, may be specific to
a *version* of a data package, and any setup for discussions need to be
aware of that (and perhaps expire after a certain time).

We talked about an external discussion service - e.g. adding this sort
of thing to CKAN, it starts to turn into MediaWiki, why not host the
discussion somewhere else and provide a linkback from the CKAN pages.
There are commenting services intended for discussion of documents which
could be used to discuss data packages.

Suggestions for implementing this with very little effort much apprec.
:)

jo
--
Jo Walsh