[ckan-discuss] Links for all CKAN-supported licenses?

Richard Cyganiak richard at cyganiak.de
Mon Oct 18 20:48:46 BST 2010

On 15 Oct 2010, at 16:56, William Waites wrote:
> Richard et al. I've started working out URLs for the
> licenses, minted URIs as http://purl.org/okfn/licenses/<license_id>

Cool stuff!

I have some half-baked RDF representation (using the voiD vocabulary)
of the lodcloud portion of CKAN, which I plan to polish up and publish
shortly. I will use those URIs there.

> One thing I'm not entirely sure how to handle is
> attribution. What we are calling licenses are really
> license *templates* the actual license for some data
> or software comes when we fill in the blanks.

That's one way of modelling it. What I'd do is, attach several
properties to the data or software, one for the license, one for the
attribution. I believe that's how CC's proposed RDF markup works, with
distinct properties for pointing to a work's license and to the
preferred attribution text and attribution URL.

Best,
Richard