[ckan-discuss] Options to store cleaned-up data

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Sun Oct 31 23:19:28 GMT 2010

On 1 November 2010 12:08, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

> On 31 October 2010 23:01, Brand Niemann <bniemann at cox.net> wrote:
> > I have focused on working with a number of US government data
> spreadsheets
> > with high quality that are updated regularly and would not suggest using
> > blobs of data as alternatives since one looses the ability to do
> > analytics/statistics on those data.
>
> Quite agree Brand, but I'm not sure Tim meant pure 'blobs' (i.e.
> opaque binary objects). I took hime to mean he wanted to dump his copy
> of the data (probably in structured form) somewhere else -- be that an
> upload of a spreadsheet to google docs, or storing a structured dump
> (json/csv/rdf) somewhere (e.g. archive.org/storage.ckan.net/s3 ...)
>
> @Tim: is this understanding correct?

I used the term blob to imply binary blob. I don't want to create an
infrastructure to provide hosting for cleaned-up versions of PSI. Naturally,
this is a poor solution technically, but it's easier for me as an
intermediary.

My 'user story': I have a spreadsheet that I've cleaned up and want to
provide back to the community so that the clean-up process doesn't need to
be repeated. I want to upload that somewhere easily and forget about it.