[ckan-discuss] Open Registry vs. Open Data

William Waites william.waites at okfn.org
Sun Sep 5 17:42:24 BST 2010

On 10-09-05 16:00, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> As I said, the first line on the CKAN home page says: "CKAN is a
> registry of open data and content packages.". Therefore I think there
> is a reasonable expectation that the packages registered there are
> open.

Actually, it is my understanding that CKAN is an
*open registry* and includes packages that are
partially open, unclearly licensed or even that
someone thinks should be open but at present are
not.

I agree that the text is misleading and should
probably be fixed. I'm crossposting to ckan-discuss,
and if nobody objects I'll change it to "CKAN is
an open registry of data and content packages"

It seems to me the case that packages in the curated
LOD group should all be themselves open, by
definition.

Cheers,
-w
--
William Waites           <william.waites at okfn.org>
Mob: +44 789 798 9965    Open Knowledge Foundation

RDF Indexing, Clustering and Inferencing in Python
		http://ordf.org/