[ckan-discuss] Storage Extension for CKAN

Flavio Coelho fccoelho at gmail.com
Tue May 24 12:02:42 BST 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 03:31, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

> On 18 May 2011 20:56, Flavio Coelho <fccoelho at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the extension!
>>

> Glad you like this.
>

>> The documentation however is not clear about how to configure  local
>> filesystem storage, instead of Google storage.
>> Any clarifications about that would be very  much welcome.
>>

> OK. So to configure local file storage you'd replace the ofs arguments in
> the config file with:
>
>     ofs.impl = pairtree
>    ofs.storage_dir = /my/path/to/storage/root/directory
>
> *However*, at the moment you won't be able to use this storage backend
> properly from ckanext-storage because, unlike the other storage options
> which provide direct upload interfaces, for local file storage we need to
> provide an upload interface directly as part of ckanext-storage (i.e. we
> need code to, for example, take a file stream and write it to disk).

Thanks for the clarification. At this point, local file storage would be
ideal, since as our ckan install is a strictly academic initiative, we don't
want to impose the financial burden of using google or S3 storage.

> Adding this to ckanext-storage would be pretty easy (we have already
> written most of this code once as part of a RESTFul web interface for a
> storage system based on OFS [1]) and it is something we could look at over
> the next week or so (unless you wanted to try youself!).

That would be a great thing to do on a Ckan sprint! don't known If you hold
periodic sprints, but for me to try it on my own, with no familiarity with
Ckan's inner workings, would be too inefficient, I'm afraid.

thanks again for the info,

Flávio Codeço Coelho
+55(21) 3799-5567
Professor <http://emap.fgv.br/flavio.coelho>