[ckan-discuss] Looking for bilingual implementations of CKAN

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Fri Dec 21 20:09:13 GMT 2012

> Our goal is to have an interface that lets users enter both our
> official languages at the same time when creating datasets, groups and
> tags (at least).
>
> I can think of some unpleasant ways to do this.  Can you recommend any
> good ways?
>
> Storing the second-language versions of text in the term translations
> isn't appropriate because I feel that both language versions should
> stay with the object being edited.  Whatever we end up with should
> also work well with other CKAN sites that want to include our
> datasets.  It seems like a difficult problem.

Hmm. Well, you can add custom fields to datasets and to the
create/update dataset form. Perhaps for every field you could add a
corresponding field for the second language, e.g. "notes" and
"notes_fr", etc. Then customise the form to show all the corresponding
fields side-by-side. See:

http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-1.8/forms.html

This is just what comes to mind, I'm not sure if this would be the
"best" way to do this.

Any other CKAN devs have an opinion about this?