[ckan-discuss] Support forum both for CKAN and the DataHub

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Thu Mar 1 18:16:37 GMT 2012

On 03/01/2012 05:53 PM, Stefano Costa wrote:
> On 3/1/2012 5:47 PM, Sean Hammond wrote:
>>
>> One thing that comes to mind - I wonder if CKAN could take part in an
>> existing Q&A community instead of hosting our own? Like having a CKAN
>> project/tag/category on an existing popular Q&A site. It might bring
>> some good exposure for CKAN. Not sure what options are out there...
>
> I know that StackOverflow is not open, but the content is under CC-BY-SA
> and it has a thriving community. Plus, the entire StackExchange "suite"
> includes Q&A sites for a lot of different domains. It is possible to
> require a new site via the "meta" StackExchange, and given certain
> results are met in terms of users interested and so on, it will succeed.

It's cool that StackOverflow content is CC, I didn't know that.

But I think CKAN it (obviously) too specific a topic for a StackExchange
site of its own, and I don't see any existing site that it seems to fit
into. Maybe we could try to make a StackExchange site about a broader
topic, that CKAN would fit into? e.g. open data.

Stack Overflow - for programmers, not users.
Server Fault, Webmasters - for pro sysadmins/webmasters.
Super User - seems to be about desktop apps.
Web Applications - maybe? But it seems to be about hosted stuff like
Google's web apps, Twitter, etc.
--
http://seanh.sdfeu.org/