[ckan-discuss] CKAN 2.0 faceted search with ajax-solr

Alex Byrnes alexbyrnes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 02:57:30 GMT 2013

Okfn,

Hi again.  I hope everything is going well over on that side of the
atlantic.  I've been working on a project you might be interested in.  I'm
calling it pico-ckan.  It's a modular ckan clone that's basically a search
component modeled after CKAN 2.0 but using ajax-solr (
https://github.com/evolvingweb/ajax-solr) so it doesn't have any
dependencies other than a solr endpoint, and recline for visualizations.
 For a cms I'm using django with mongodb but it's only used for some basic
crud operations on the data.  Most of the functionality comes from the two
very pluggable components on top: ajax-solr and recline.  It could easily
be built into another cms or using another database (one of the django
databases would be easy with the existing code).  I have found mongo to be
very good for metadata, especially when combining metadata from different
hubs.  All of the solr synchronization is done with mongo-connector (
https://github.com/10gen-labs/mongo-connector).

I've also started using jinja2, and the ckan css because we're both using a
lot of bootstrap components.  I used several of the templates straight from
ckan 2.0.  I'm hoping there are other cross borrowing opportunities as we
go along.  Jinja is turning out to be an improvement over genshi so I
applaud your choice there.  The templates look very cleaned up too.  Cheers
for the great work as usual.

The part you might be interested in is the faceted search.  If it would
help to have it split out from the main project please let me know.  I'd be
glad to make it more useful to you all as you see fit.

Alex

Github:

https://github.com/alexbyrnes/pico-ckan

Brief demo: