[ckan-discuss] CKAN 2.0 faceted search with ajax-solr

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Jan 22 09:24:06 GMT 2013

On 22 January 2013 02:57, Alex Byrnes <alexbyrnes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okfn,
>
> Hi again.  I hope everything is going well over on that side of the
> atlantic.  I've been working on a project you might be interested in.  I'm
> calling it pico-ckan.  It's a modular ckan clone that's basically a search
> component modeled after CKAN 2.0 but using ajax-solr
> (https://github.com/evolvingweb/ajax-solr) so it doesn't have any
> dependencies other than a solr endpoint, and recline for visualizations.

You're aware recline has basic solr support (and that extending it
would be very easy) -- this would drop your dependencies here ...

> For a cms I'm using django with mongodb but it's only used for some basic
> crud operations on the data.  Most of the functionality comes from the two
> very pluggable components on top: ajax-solr and recline.  It could easily be
> built into another cms or using another database (one of the django
> databases would be easy with the existing code).  I have found mongo to be
> very good for metadata, especially when combining metadata from different
> hubs.  All of the solr synchronization is done with mongo-connector
> (https://github.com/10gen-labs/mongo-connector).

We have done a very lightweight pure HTML + JS catalog in the past:
https://github.com/okfn/datacatalog.js

> I've also started using jinja2, and the ckan css because we're both using a
> lot of bootstrap components.  I used several of the templates straight from
> ckan 2.0.  I'm hoping there are other cross borrowing opportunities as we go
> along.  Jinja is turning out to be an improvement over genshi so I applaud
> your choice there.  The templates look very cleaned up too.  Cheers for the
> great work as usual.

This all sounds really interesting. Do keep the list updated!

> The part you might be interested in is the faceted search.  If it would help
> to have it split out from the main project please let me know.  I'd be glad
> to make it more useful to you all as you see fit.

That would definitely be nice - as I say recline has a solr component
and has facets support already (though it could do with further
improvements). That might be a sweet spot for improving things.

Rufus

> Alex
>
> Github:
>
> https://github.com/alexbyrnes/pico-ckan