[ckan-discuss] Investigation of CKAN and data set persistent identifiers on the interent

Mark Wainwright mark.wainwright at okfn.org
Mon Oct 14 14:28:48 BST 2013

Hi Hilton,

CKAN provides permanent URLs for datasets, so they can be cited
directly, but there should be no problem with an external service
returning its URLs via its own identifier system. As yet though, there
isn't an extension to make CKAN automatically register new datasets in
this way and store the identifier. As Ross says, in the case of DOIs,
it's been discussed several times, including in Joss Winn's very
useful paper on CKAN for research data management
<http://lncn.eu/agt9>.

It shouldn't be too difficult to do, and the recent post from the
EDaWaX project <http://ckan.org/edawax> hints that they are working on
it as part of their extension. You might want to get in touch with
them. Alternatively, the Open Knowledge Foundation would be happy to
hear from anyone who wanted to fund the development of a stand-alone
DOI extension :-)

Best,

Mark

On 14/10/2013, Ross Jones <ross at servercode.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That trac instance is almost certainly out of date now, most of the issues
> are on github.com/okfn/ckan/issues now.  Although that specific ticket is, I
> suppose still relevant.
>
> I think the DOI integration was waiting for someone to either do the work
> involved, or to fund development of OKF doing the work.  There may have been
>  mention of it on the CKAN 4 Research Data Management list
> (http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo/ckan4rdm) but as far as I'm aware
> this hasn't been implemented yet.
>
> There is an entry on Trello (
> https://trello.com/c/dlzGQGdH/98-discovery-ability-to-assign-dois-datacite-to-datasets
> ) which may be worth voting for, and possibly adding what you believe it
> should consist of.
>
> Ross.
>
> On 14 Oct 2013, at 11:39, Hilton Gibson <hilton.gibson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> We are evaluating CKAN for possible open data deployment.
>> See: http://wiki.lib.sun.ac.za/index.php/OpenData
>>
>> When checking the features, I see that unique identification of data sets
>> via some external service is missing.
>> Am I correct?
>>
>> I found the following TRAC tickets referring to DOI's and Handle's
>> respectively.
>> http://trac.ckan.org/ticket/1145
>> http://trac.ckan.org/ticket/1429
>>
>> How can researcher cite a data set hosted on a CKAN system, on the
>> internet.
>> What method does CKAN use?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> --
>> Hilton Gibson
>> Ubuntu Linux Systems Administrator
>> JS Gericke Library
>> Room 1025D
>> Stellenbosch University
>> Private Bag X5036
>> Stellenbosch
>> 7599
>> South Africa
>>
>> Tel: +27 21 808 4100 | Cell: +27 84 646 4758
>> http://library.sun.ac.za
>> http://za.linkedin.com/in/hiltongibson
>> http://staff.lib.sun.ac.za/~hgibson/docs/cv/cv.html

Business development and user engagement manager
The Open Knowledge Foundation
Empowering through Open Knowledge
http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn  |  http://ckan.org  |  @CKANproject