[ckan-discuss] New field "Source" in v2.2

Pieter Colpaert pieter.colpaert at okfn.org
Sun Feb 23 21:35:52 UTC 2014

Hi Aaron,

I think the "source" is coming from the dcterms vocabulary:

http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-source
A related resource from which the described resource is derived.

You can thus optionally add a URL to the source where you can download
the original dataset, if the current one is derived from it. For
harvesters this is also extremely interesting as harvesters
automatically add the source description page of this dataset in another
catalogue.

Hope this helps,

Pieter

On 2014-02-23 22:25, Aaron McGlinchy wrote:
> Hi, I've just noticed that a new field called Source (as well as another called Version) have appeared since we updated to v2.2
>
> I'm very confused as to what source means.  The example shown in the entry box is http://example.com/dataset.json, however if I had (at the "add data" stage) linked to a file held in an external (to my CKAN) location then wouldn't the link = Source, and if I had upload a file to CKAN from a local drive, then source also seems redundant.
>
> What is the purpose of Source?  Am I missing something?
>
> Thanks
> Aaron

> Warning: This electronic message together with any attachments is confidential. If you receive it in error: (i) you must not read, use, disclose, copy or retain it; (ii) please contact the sender immediately by reply email and then delete the emails.
> The views expressed in this email may not be those of Landcare Research New Zealand Limited. http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz

+32 486 74 71 22

Open Knowledge Foundation Belgium
http://okfn.be