[ckan-discuss] Where do city and other governments store their CKAN data?

Mark Boyd mark at mgboyd.com
Wed Mar 19 13:52:07 UTC 2014

Hi all

I hope this is alright to ask this here in the CKAN email discussion list.

I am a follower of CKAN and have written about the platform several times
for ProgrammableWeb. I am currently working on an article about the new
FI-Ware open source platform that i understand will partner with CKAN in
the near future. FI-Ware is, in part, aiming to set up data centers to
provide governments (and others) with independent distributed data storage
solutions for their smart cities projects, and for storage of their open
data platforms.

This leads me to ask existing CKAN users: *How do you manage your CKAN
instances and open data storage now? *Are you using cloud storage (Amazon?)
or internal servers? If open data is to grow and at a (smart-) city level
is to include sensor data in realtime, what storage needs will you have and
what is the current thinking to solve this challenge?

Again, i apologise if this is inappropriate to ask on this list. Feel free
to email me directly if you prefer.

Thanks for your help and for making CKAN such a great public resource.

Mark Boyd
mark at mgboyd.com

Web: *http://www.programmableweb.com/profile/MarkBoyd
<http://www.programmableweb.com/profile/MarkBoyd>*