[CKAN-support] SA CKAN Instance - Data Testing [DLM=For-Official-Use-Only]

Marshall, Peter (OCIO) Peter.Marshall2 at sa.gov.au
Fri Mar 22 03:37:33 UTC 2013

For Official Use Only
Hi,
I have been loading live data in to the 'hosting' environment - http://sa.staging.ckanhosted.com/ and in the process have uncovered a few anomalies and points of interest.

If you could assess these please - none appear to be show-stoppers.  I've provided examples from the datasets in my notes below so you can observe more easily.

Note that most of the resources attached to datasets are linked rather than stored.

1)       The 'author' is shown at the dataset level - see http://sa.staging.ckanhosted.com/dataset/video-conferencing-sites, however when you go to the resource level (click on the resource) it is displayed as 'unknown' in the 'Additional Information'.  Additional question: was the 'maintainer' meant to be displayed in 'Additional Information' too?

2)      The 'show more' and 'hide' functions sitting below 'Additional Information' on the 'resource' page don't seem to do anything.

3)      On some datasets, clicking on the resource immediately tries to download rather than attempt to preview first - see http://sa.staging.ckanhosted.com/dataset/adelaide-metro-general-transit-feed-specification-2

4)      In some datasets that don't preview, when you click on 'more details' you get the 'no handler....' Message - see http://sa.staging.ckanhosted.com/dataset/gazetteer.  On some others you get a more severe looking "error" message referring to the timeout that was happening - e.g. Could not load preview: DataProxy returned an error (Data transformation failed. HTTPException: Deadline exceeded while waiting for HTTP response from URL: http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/datasets/SLSALibraryhackAllImagesExcludingAboriginalIncludingGEOS_2011-01-19.csv) - see http://sa.staging.ckanhosted.com/dataset/south-australian-photographs

5)      In some instances when you are in a map and enlarging (drilling in on) the map, the map "jumps" a bit higher on the screen masking the 'grid graph map' boxes.

6)      Question: I notice the maps use "cluster markers" for clustering at one point - this option  is ticked by default.  What is the basis for these boundaries as they seem quite inconsistent?

If you see any usage errors or misconceptions I have (about the functionality) on the data I have entered it would be great to know.

Thanks,
Peter