[datacatalogs] Status of data catalog metadata standards

James McKinney james at opennorth.ca
Fri Jan 24 22:33:15 UTC 2014

http://schema.org/Dataset derives from DCAT. DCAT is a W3C Recommendation, which is as stable and finalized as anything goes in W3C.  There are no other more stable or finalized standards. I spent a lot of time on the project-open-data issue tracker getting its schema to match the DCAT spec. In terms of adoption, you'll find an incomplete list here http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/DCAT_Implementations

To my knowledge, dataprotocols.org is not about data catalog metadata. It addresses other problems like CSV on the web, etc.

Besides DCAT, I don't know of another *standard* specifically focused on data catalogs. Thematic areas, e.g. health data, may have their own specific standards. Of course, each data catalog vendor has its own custom formats, toolchains, etc.

In my opinion, all efforts should be on DCAT.

James