[ddj] Our Best City in the World contest is on — join the fun!

BuzzData contest at buzzdata.com
Thu Feb 9 17:27:33 UTC 2012

Web version http://buzzdata.createsend1.com/t/r/e/dltliyt/fhyuujltu/n/  |   Update preferences http://buzzdata.updatemyprofile.com/r/dltliyt/DAC1023E/fhyuujltu/p  |
http://buzzdata.createsend1.com/t/r/fb/dltliyt/fhyuujltu/c/     http://buzzdata.createsend1.com/t/r/tw/dltliyt/fhyuujltu/q/   Tweet http://buzzdata.createsend1.com/t/r/tw/dltliyt/fhyuujltu/a/     http://buzzdata.forwardtomyfriend.com/r/fhyuujltu/DAC1023E/dltliyt/l/f
Forward http://buzzdata.forwardtomyfriend.com/r/fhyuujltu/DAC1023E/dltliyt/l/z

Contest submissions are rolling in already!

We're just one week into our  Best City in the World Contest
[http://buzzdata.com/best-city-contest] (deadline March 4) with
the  Economist Intelligence Unit
[http://www.eiu.com/site_info.asp?info_name=about_eiu&entry1=about_eiuNav&page=noads]
, and entries are already being submitted!

If you haven't yet heard, our Best City in the World Contest
(Twitter hashtag: #bestcitycontest) challenges you to pinpoint
the most liveable city in the world using data and a
visualization for a grand prize of $10,000 — yes, that's $10,000
.

It's still early days, so we'd like to give you a few tips to
ensure you have good time.

6 tips for having a great Best City Contest experience

If you'd like to see what's happening with the contest and what
others are doing, check and follow our  Best City Contest topic
page [http://buzzdata.com/topics/best-city-contest]. BuzzData
Topics are great because they aggregate data project activity in
real-time.

Got a question about the EIU's indexes? Not only are we listening
, but the editor of the EIU's  Global Liveability Report
[http://www.eiu.com/site_info.asp?info_name=The_Global_Liveability_Report&rf=0]
is, too. You can ask the EIU's  Jon Copestake
[http://buzzdata.com/joncopestake] questions directly using
BuzzData's new private 'Messages' feature.

Planning a Hack Day this month but not sure what to focus on? The
Best City Contest [http://buzzdata.com/best-city-contest]
provides a fantastic goal for hackers to work toward — a high
-stakes prize, international appeal, and a great question to
investigate:"Where is the best city in the world to live?"

Looking for new ways to explore the data? There are lots of great
free tools you can use for mining and mashups. We recommend
reading  Sharon Machlis's comprehensive list for the latest and
most versatile.
[http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9215504/22_free_tools_for_data_visualization_and_analysis]

Planning on submitting an interactive visualization? A quick
YouTube demo added under the Visualizations tab of your index
can help orient the viewer about how your entry works. Don't
forget to include a link to your app under the Visualization tab
if it's online, too.

Finally, if you haven't yet checked out  our step-by-step
submission guide video [http://vimeo.com/35770448], please do!
It walks you through not only how to submit your entry correctly
, but how to make the best use of BuzzData. It's worth the four
minutes.

One last thing ...

Have you heard? BuzzData has been selected  as a finalist for
SXSW Interactive Startup Accelerator
[http://sxsw.com/interactive/startupvillage/accelerator/finalists]
!  We are so excited to head to Austin, Texas in March and meet
all the presenters, exhibitors and other finalists this year.
Updates on our plans to follow, stay tuned!

-The BuzzData team

http://buzzdata.createsend1.com/t/r/u/dltliyt/fhyuujltu/e/