[ddj] Mapping illegal crops in the borderlands of Belarus, Poland and Ukraine

Fiona Underwood fiona at fmunderwood.com
Thu Oct 2 09:05:05 UTC 2014

Hello

Just wanted to add that data from the police may have all sorts of hidden biases. Their data tells you about the crops they find and report. There may be many places where there are crops that the police don’t know about or don’t find. There may be other places where the police know about it but it doesn’t make it onto the official recording. And of course different countries might have biases in different regions and to different extents. So increased number of reports in a particular area doesn’t necessarily mean more crops being grown. It might be a crackdown by the police in that area.

I just mention this because I have been working with illegal ivory seizures and these have the same biases

So you may need to be careful about how you interpret the results.

Hope that helps

Fiona

Dr Fiona M. Underwood
Independent Statistical Consultant