[ddj] Announcing DataBasic.io

Catherine D'Ignazio Catherine_Dignazio at emerson.edu
Tue Jan 12 13:31:16 UTC 2016

Hi friends,

We're pleased to announce the launch of DataBasic.io - a suite of simple
web-based tools and hands-on activities that help you get started learning
to work with data.  The tools are geared towards journalists, non-profits,
activist groups and students. Rather than just building data tools to make
a pretty charts, we've designed these with learners in mind and we made
them fun!

https://databasic.io

* WTFcsv gives you a quick overview of a CSV to help you learn how to start
asking questions with data
* WordCounter shows you the most common words and phrases in a text
document to help you think about text as data
* SameDiff compares two documents to help you learn how to tell stories
about differences

Each tool has a short video introducing it, and a downloadable activity
guide so you can facilitate the hands-on activities we have designed for
each tool.  They're available in Spanish and English, and accessible to
those that use screen-reading software to use the web.

Please try them out, spread the word, and let us know how it goes.
Thanks,

Rahul Bhargava and Catherine D'Ignazio

---
Assistant Professor of Civic Media and Data Visualization, Emerson College
Fellow, Emerson Engagement Lab
Research Affiliate, MIT Center for Civic Media
Founding Member, Boston Civic Media Consortium
www.kanarinka.com | @kanarinka | 617-501-2441