[EU-lobby-data] Fwd: Re: [datacrunching] conference call to plan further steps on data crunching tool early September

Erik Wesselius erik at corporateeurope.org
Wed Sep 5 13:19:15 UTC 2012

On 05/09/12 15:09, Friedrich Lindenberg wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm very sorry for my no-show yesterday! I terribly underestimated
> distances here and was still in a car. Still, I see that you discussed
> the crowdsourcing item and would like to add two updates from my end:
>
> 1) We (the European Journalism Center and OKFN) have received funding
> to do a Euro-themed hackday in London in November. The idea is to do a
> three-day coding sprint to develop tools for journalists relating to a
> specific dataset. I mentioned that we could use the lobby data as a
> foundation for this and this seems to be agreed as a topic now. Would
> any of you be interested in joining us as domain experts for the
> event? (November 24-25)

That sounds very exciting! We want to launch our website late November,
but the extra tools (if open source) could be added later. This is
exactly our idea for the website: lay the foundation and build on it
gradually.

> 2) I've been doing some work to create a cleaner backend, which also
> integrates the expert groups. There isn't a demo yet, but the basic
> stuff is working and I can provide expert group membership data quite
> easily if that's useful to any of you (updated re Rob's 2009 stuff).

Sounds good!

> Greeting from freezy South Africa,

Ah it's late winter over there. Hard to imagine as we are enjoying a
bout of very nice Spätsommerwetter.

Cheers,

Erik

email:   erik at corporateeurope.org

phone:   +31-(0)30-2364422
mobile:  +32-(0)476-901587 (only when I'm in Belgium)
skype:   zilverling
twitter: erikwesselius

website: http://www.corporateeurope.org