[euopendata] ICT-2010 networking session on gov linked data

Ivan Herman ivan at w3.org
Sat Feb 27 16:50:13 UTC 2010

On 2010-2-27 17:27 , Sören Auer wrote:
> On 27.02.2010 12:06, Ivan Herman wrote:
>> - I think it would be good to emphasize the openness aspect. Ie, we are
>> talking about Linked Public Governmental Data. Maybe worth changing the
>> title accordingly? After all, there are a bunch of confidential
>> governmental data, and I do not believe we concentrate on those for the
>> moment...
>
> You are completely right, but I would rather keep the title as simple as
> possible. I added 'public' to the first mentioning of governmental data
> in the text, to make it a little clearer. Maybe that's sufficient?

Not sure, to be honest. The title is what sticks, that is why I think it
would be better to have the 'Public' there...

>> - In the summary: with all my huge respects for Obama, I am not sure it
>> is appropriate to put his name there (or we should put Brown's name,
>> too). Ie:
>> 'the Obama administration's Data.gov portal' ->  'the US Data.gov portal'
>
> Yes, that's better, have changed it accordingly.
>
>> - I usually prefer to capitalize Semantic Web.
>
> Done.
>
>> - 'integrating data' ->  'integrating public data' (still in the summary)
>
> Also, done.
>
>> A question: what do you mean by 'networking session will be supported'.
>> Ie, what does support mean? The reason I am asking is that if I know
>> what this means, I can try to get the same support from W3C and/or
>> ERCIM, but I have to know what we are talking about...
>
> I guess there is no precise definition for now, but getting involved
> with the preparations (as you already do), spreading the word, actively
> participating and inviting additional people to the session, that's the
> support we will need for the session. I'm happy to add W3C/ERCIM to the
> list, although W3C is also already mentioned above.

To be explicitly listed as 'supported', which is something that will
appear on, say, the conference's public documents, we have to know what
this means, what it entails, what the obligations are. What you site
above is perfectly fine, but the respective organizations have to agree
with that before we list them. It is like putting a logo there for some
sort of a sponsorship (actually, logos of such organization *might*
appear on the public material!), we cannot just do it in the wild... I
know that for W3C I have to get an agreement from our comm guys before a
logo or such public statement could be made. (Do not misunderstand me: I
am 99% sure that this will not be a problem in this case)

That is why we have to agree among ourselves what this really mean and
see if our home organizations is able to do that. The fact that we are
part of this committee is a bit different and may not be enough...

I am sorry if I sound pedantic on this issue...

Cheers

Ivan

> Thanks for your comments,
>
> Sören