[euopendata] Request for information: recent PSI/open gov data developments in your country

David Norheim David.Norheim at computas.com
Thu Jan 27 13:42:39 UTC 2011

Hi Peter,

Den 27. jan. 2011 kl. 13.15 skrev Peter Krantz:

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 19:02, David Norheim <David.Norheim at computas.com<mailto:David.Norheim at computas.com>> wrote:

Which loosely translate to:
"From January 1st 2011 all suitable raw data shall be made availiable in
machine readable formats.

Great summary, thank you! Did you define what "raw data" means in
Norway? In my experience the definition varies widely. Some people
believe that writing data into a database implies that it is not "raw
data" anymore (as it has been enhanced with structure).

We had a meeting yesterday where this aspect came up. The definition is not there, however, IMO adding structure by no means makes it less raw - quite the contrary. What is the question of what's raw or not, is if it is aggregated (statistics) or presented in formats where (e.g. maps) where you cannot get to the details needed for using it differently from the presented format. Raw therefore means maximizing reusability.  I guess this discussion is going to go on for a while. :)

If we could find a shared definition of what it means I think it would
be easier for people who maintain data to draw a line between their
commercial activities (which typically is based on defined data and
services) and the "collecting activities".

Absolutely, very useful!

Regards,
David

Regards,

Peter Krantz
@peterkz_swe
http://www.opengov.se

David Norheim
Chief Engineer | Manager Open Data focus area
Mobile: +47 95 94 69 49
Email: david.norheim at computas.com<mailto:david.norheim at computas.com>
Web: www.computas.com<http://www.computas.com/>

Computas AS  Lysaker Torg 45, PO Box 482, N-1327 Lysaker
Phone:+47 6783 1000 | Fax:+47 6783 1001