[euopendata] [psi-workers] Update on pan-European open data competition

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Sat Mar 19 09:43:26 UTC 2011

Dear Jean, All,

This is a valid point. Also because commercial orientated startups might be able to invest much more time (money) in the development in an app than the single citizen open data-enthusiast.

I think the Guideline form the very first and very successful "Apps for Democracy" in 2008 in Washingthon DC is really a good starting point (not only for the criteria):

They introduced a number of relatively small prices for the category "Indie" and  "Agency". In both categories the had:

Gold
Silver
Bronze
Honorable Mention
Peoples Choice*

Prize Structure
1.	Indie and Agency prize pools are mutually exclusive (1 gold for Indie, 1 gold for Agency)
2.	People’s Choice awards are not mutually exclusive and will be award automatically to the two applications with the most votes in the Application Directory. You do not need to judge these.

Awards criteria
Please keep the following 4 criteria in mind when evaluating applications.
1.	Usefulness to the citizens, visitors and government of Washington DC
2.	Potential for application to be useful for other governmental bodies outside of DC
3.	Appeal of the application from a usability perspective
4.	Inventive and original nature of the application

This has proofed to be a meaningful criteria. We might do something very similar to not invent the weel again ;)

See: http://www.appsfordemocracy.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/create_an_apps_for_democracy.pdf

Regards
Daniel

--
Daniel Dietrich

The Open Knowledge Foundation
www.okfn.org  -  www.opendefinition.org

Project Coordinator of the Open Definition
Coordinator of the Working Groups:
Open Government Data & Open Data in the EU

Mail: daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Mobil: +49 171 780 870 3
Skype: ddie22
Twitter: @ddie