[okfn-coord] JISC bid with University of Lincoln

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Mon Apr 28 18:13:43 UTC 2008

Rufus Pollock wrote:
>> What exactly is it that is being committed to?  I see that:
>>
>> "OKF will support with licensing, research and technical support."
>>
>> Is this framed as a number of days of work at a certain consulting
>> rate? Or is this more informal assistance, such as a phone chat or
>> acting as a member of steering group on the project.
>
> This is one for Jonathan to answer but I would imagine in the bid this
> is probably left rather undefined (?).

Hey Jordan!

Rufus is right - this is left rather undefined partly as the detail
applicants have to provide is initially very minimal. The call is
deliberately left fairly open, and the cost (in time) is relatively low.
Apparently this is mainly so JISC can look out for stuff related to
eLearning that is not addressed in their other calls.

They also are keen to do a survey on open content licenses in higher
education - much like yours for cultural heritage institutions, which I
flagged up for them - and a history of free/open stuff. However, I
suggested the main focus was the 'information packs', as JISC like
information packs and to try to give the bid a strong, concrete focus.
(Their initial idea was roughly something about openness and the notion
of student as producer - and in my opinion verged on looking like the
philosophy of education or similar.)

I imagine licensing advice will probably be more informal - though this
remains to be decided. Do you have any particular thoughts about this?
Would you be interested in doing consulting work?

Regarding technical work - it did cross my mind that Iain Emsley, a
volunteer on Open Shakespeare/Milton, is very keen on this kind of thing.

I look forward to seeing you on Wednesday if you can still make it!

Jonathan