[okfn-coord] Hosting for OneClickOrgs?

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Sat Apr 25 08:54:12 UTC 2009

Bit of background via GigaOm:

<http://gigaom.com/2008/06/17/vermont-oks-the-creation-of-virtual-corporations/

This is really interesting!  I think we should support this project,
but I have three questions/points:

===1. What is the nature of the proposed relationship?

-- they want a friendly host to be only a friendly host -- so we are
acting as an ISP or a reseller only.
(and do we want to be an ISP service, at least for very long?)

OR

-- we are a "project partner" whose contribution is hosting and
possibly doing more work.

===2. Liability

The liability for us is a bit different in each case (partner vs ISP).
I'd like to be a bit clearer about our liability since:

-- they are going to be helping people incorporate.  Just doing a bit
of lawyerly issue-spotting, but one question I'd have is "could this
service run into Unauthorized Practice of Law problems?"

--If it's an ISP type role, I'd also like to make sure about things
like privacy policies, defamation, that sort of thing.

===3. Payment...

Even for blog hosting, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for a
suggested donation each month, especially as, even if this is a non-
profit, it definitely has the potential to be *profit-making.  Long
term, hosting isn't free and seems like we should either be:

-- charging (even if at a reduced rate) for hosting
OR
-- seeing if we can write this off tax wise as a donation on our part
(set an amount that we would charge for hosting).

Thanks!

~Jordan