[okfn-coord] License consultancy work for EU Transparency?

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Tue Jul 21 14:13:47 UTC 2009

On 17 Jul 2009, at 15:19, Rufus Pollock wrote:

> We should definitely do this. Jonathan: can you get back to Jack and
> say yes.
>
> He seems willing to pay for this so we should probably work out what
> we should charge -- it wouldn't take much time but then again we are
> now experts in this area. What do people think would be reasonable? 1
> days works at our pro-bono rate of, say, £400 per day?

So I had a further think about this, and while I think that this is a
great project, I want to make sure we steer away from doing typical
lawyer / legal advice stuff (such as writing licenses specific for one
user) and make sure that we are charging appropriate rates for the
licensing stuff we do:

We were asked to:

> Specifically, I'd like to:
>
> - agree a license for the websites (farmsubsidy.org / fishsubsidy.org)
>
> - agree a license for the database

While probably a day's worth of work, I think 400 is pretty low to go
through all of that stuff.  600 seems better to me, but happy to go
for 400 if that's what everyone else thinks.  This is mainly because
there is some overhead on time that evens out in a 4 day project (for
example), and so I personally usually charge a bit more for one day
projects.

> Would OKFN be available as a consultant on this?
>
> Tasks would be:
>
> Help select and draft the license

I don't see how we can draft a license for them.  If we are talking
about the possibility of an attribution only data license, then they
could sponsor development time, assuming the Open Data Commons
advisory council were amenable and this was a route we wanted to go.
We'd have to go through a public beta process as well before it would
be complete and ready to use.

> Help with a plain English FAQ that explains it.

This would be good, but it would be better to explore making sure
that  the FAQ was available for everyone - i.e. creating a template
FAQ for anyone to use.

> We want to be as open as possible, and to encourage others to be open
> but we do need for our work in compiling and providing the data to be
> attributed.

Thanks!

~jordan

> Rufus
>
> 2009/7/17 Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>:
>> Just to let everyone know, Jack Thurston of EU Transparency is
>> interested in have the OKF as a consultant on what legal tool/license
>> they should use for their data. They really seem to want an
>> attribution license for data!
>>
>> Jonathan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM