[foundation-board] an interesting potential coordinator

Jo Walsh metazool at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 17:38:11 UTC 2010

So this afternoon i chatted with a nice bloke named Mark MacGillivray,
who came recommended by David Flanders to assist with project management
work on the JISC Open Bibliography project. It turns out he is quite
interested in coordinating projects, has some progressive but pragmatic
ideas about helping projects organise themselves, etc.

I think the sitation is this (i am always happy to be wrong, though):
Rufus is proposing to hire him for one day a week for a month, as a
personal expense, and he's to help out with project documentation,
engage with the coord group, and figure out what he might want to pick
off the task list as short term goals. (The task list is developing
nicely btw - http://wiki.okfn.org/coord/tasks)

Then after a month we see whether OKF wants to take him on for one day a
week, could be on a similarly provisional basis, 3 months or so.

He made a fair amount of sense to me. I would be happy to work with him
and to be honest it is great to have someone else in Edinburgh to talk
to, we can start having Open Knowledge meetups with 3 or 4 of us, etc.

So i am totally happy with this situation, in the initial month there is
no risk or direct expense to the Foundation, i guess we'd want to review
as soon as that felt viable, as to whether it would make sense to enough
people to keep going with him in the projects coordinator position...

Thoughts?

jo