[foundation-board] Wikileaks blog post?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Dec 8 13:39:47 UTC 2010

Hi board,

There's been quite a lot of press about the relation between open data
movement and Wikileaks. Do you think we should issue a brief statement
about how the two are orthogonal, and about how Wikileaks is *not*
open data?

The medium term risk is that governments start associating open gov
data community with folks behind Wikileaks, and hence pushes open gov
data stuff way down the agenda (undoing all the hard work that has
been going on to get people excited and encourage governments to think
opening up more official information **for others to reuse** is a good
idea).

I'm now seeing stuff on opendata / Wikileaks nearly every day, and I'm
worried that this could be doing some damage, especially as its so
high profile and getting *lots* of coverage...

--
Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator
The Open Knowledge Foundation