[okfn-coord] Reimbursing Peter Suber?

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Mon Feb 22 19:51:45 UTC 2010

On 22 Feb 2010, at 19:21, Jonathan Gray wrote:

> Regarding reimbursing Peter Suber for inexplicably high phone
> conference charges, it looks like he can't do Paypal or bank transfer
> and best way is via cheque. Does anyone know best way of doing this?
> (Is it as simple as writing a cheque for equivalent amount in pounds
> with OKF chequebook?)

Thanks for following this up Jonathan.

Not to be rude to Peter, but I think you'll just have to ask him to figure out a different way other than cheque if he can't accept those two methods --  I'm betting that he'll may have to accept a bank transfer or paypal or not get reimbursed.

I don't think you can cash a normal UK cheque written in pounds and drawn on a UK bank in the US.  I know from experience coming the other way that you have to have a cashiers check (ie, the funds are certified) and that even then it takes an obscene amount of time and hassle to get the funds actually into your bank (like 6 weeks+ and a few trips to convince them that they can cash it).  Ask him to go to his bank and talk to them about the options and then he can suggest some options for us.

The only other option I can think of is try Western Union -- you can suggest that he look into that as an option as well. If the problem is that he doesn't have a bank account, then this may be the only method that is effective.

Thanks!

~Jordan