[foundation-board] Board meetings

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Fri Mar 23 07:27:02 UTC 2012

Thanks for the discussion.

On 22 Mar 2012, at 10:12, Becky Hogge wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Great to see you all on Tuesday. I agree we need to rethink the length/timing of Board meetings in order to get through the agenda, if only temporarily as we work on some of the issues flagged to us in Laura's report. I can come earlier, and I can come to locations in Cambridge. Moving the meetings to Cambridge seems sensible given how many of us (particularly those of us who need to be with their employers until the close of the working day) are located there or near there. But I also highly value Paula and Martin's participation in meetings, and would not want to lose out on this if we moved locations.

What if we did two things:

(1) explored a London venue that didn't have the same time constraints
(2) looked at moving at least one board meeting a year to Cambridge.

Can I suggest that we have our June meeting in Cambridge?  I can see if we can host it at ARM, though I recognise that our offices aren't as convenient for those coming up by train.

As an alternative to (1), I'd be happy to explore meeting more frequently at the BFI.  Personally I can meet at 6pm, but no earlier, in London, and 5pm in Cambridge.  I'd hesitate to move our meetings to weekends.

I also note that there was a recommendation in the report for a day meeting with the board in May:

"I would like to book a whole day when the whole board can be present for strategic development activity, probably in May. I will circulate a doodle shortly."

Laura is this still something you'd like to request?  I'd be happy to support this, and may be able to take a day off work depending on timings for it if we need to have it during the week.  My one caveat though is that we've had some similarly themed meetings in the past, and I'd like to explore ways we can be extremely productive with our time that day and address the major burning issues.

Thanks

Jordan