[foundation-board] "CKAN Inc" spin-out developments

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Jun 23 12:45:22 UTC 2014

Dear Board,

As raised with the Board back in March (and discussed prior to that point),
we believe that we should spin-out part or all of our current "commercial"
CKAN activity. The evaluation report by Morris Lipson also had substantial
discussion on this point, and generally supported the idea of a spin-out.

*This issue is increasingly pressing due to the continued evolution of this
space and some immediate near-term catalysts.*

The attached sort paper “*CKAN Inc Options*” (lays out some more details,
potential options and the reasons for near-term action). Also attached is a
longer paper to provide some strategic context for our current CKAN
activities which can serve as a useful complement.

As per the document, we will soon have discussions in train with various
parties about potential options and I would like to confirm that we can
move forward with these (if I hear no objections within the next couple of
days I will assume this is ok).

Obviously no firm commitment in this area will be made without board
discussion (and, if necessary, formal approval). We would obviously welcome
board input and discussion so please ping me if you would like to discuss
this or if we should set up a short board-wide discussion meeting.

All the best,

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock
<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> - see
how data can change the world**http://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn
<http://twitter.com/OKFN> | Open Knowledge on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>*

*Come to the Open Knowledge Festival <http://okfestival.org/> in Berlin
15-17 July 2014!*

The Open Knowledge Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation.  It is
incorporated in England & Wales as a company limited by guarantee, with
company number 05133759.  VAT Registration № GB 984404989. Registered
office address: Open Knowledge Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre,
Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS, UK.