[humanities-dev] Rendering *lots* of annotations

Tom Oinn tom.oinn at okfn.org
Thu Apr 12 16:06:32 UTC 2012

On 12 April 2012 16:43, Christian Morbidoni
<christian.morbidoni at gmail.com> wrote:
> I didn't meant to criticize, really :-).

It didn't particularly sound like criticism :)

> I like the mokup a lot and completely agree on showing annotation a
> side.  As well as I think using colors is good.
> We are also doing it in Semlib...even if is more tricky for us as
> annotations (being triples) can refer to multiple text pieces.

The hard problem appears to be how to make a page with many
annotations usable, some messing around required I suspect! At the
moment if I'm showing, say, 100 annotations on the screen it's not
particularly easy to navigate. I don't know how likely that kind of
density will be in practice though so I'm not worrying overly much
about it right now - we're already filtering annotations out if they
apply to 'everything you can see' so it's only those which start or
end in the visible region of text which are being rendered in this
way.

Tom

--
Tom Oinn
+44 (0) 20 8123 5142 or Skype ID 'tomoinn'