[iRail] Close encounters with NMBS and De Lijn

Jan Fabry jan.fabry at monkeyman.be
Sat Dec 4 19:14:21 UTC 2010

On 04 Dec 2010, at 18:30, Yeri Tiete wrote:

> Also, remember De Lijn is a private organisation (unlike NMBS) and they do not have to share any data at all.

Au contraire mon ami, au contraire!

De Lijn is a "publiekrechtelijk vormgegeven extern verzelfstandigd agentschap" [ http://www2.vlaanderen.be/personeel/statuten/vademecum_dvo/vvm_delijn/vvm_delijn.htm ]. Don't ask me to translate that, but it means it's not a private company, and that it must comply with the freedom of information act ("decreet openbaarheid van bestuur") [ http://www3.vlaanderen.be/openbaarheid/detail.php?document_id=1&nav_id=16 ]. For example, they had to comply with (a little part of) my appeal earlier this year: [ http://www3.vlaanderen.be/openbaarheid/beslissingen/2010/dossier_2010-118.pdf ].

But the freedom of information act does not automatically mean the data is open. Copyrights might apply, and you can't use it for commercial purposes [ http://www3.vlaanderen.be/openbaarheid/detail.php?document_id=1&nav_id=63 ]. If you want that, you're talking about "re-use of public sector information" (EU Directive 2003/98). The law is much looser here: each agency can decide for themselves whether to allow re-use of information, and fees may apply [ http://communicatie.vlaanderen.be/nlapps/docs/default.asp?fid=57 ]. So De Lijn doesn't have to give this information, but apparently they are willing.

Greetings,

Jan Fabry