[kforge-dev] Python bug?

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftwarefoundation.org
Fri Dec 16 12:26:41 UTC 2005

Rufus Pollock wrote:

> John Bywater wrote:
>
>> So, I tracked down a certain problem to this wierdness:
>>
>> An object (Register) is created. It has attributes, and methods which
>> work fine. But it is evaluated for 'truth' in an if statement, the
>> result is False. So code that is sensitive to whether an object has a
>> register or not, acts as if there isn't a register, when there really
>> is.
>

> Nasty bug John and one I can imagine caused quite a bit of pain :(.
> Does that mean there is a difference for a Python class X between:
>
> if X != None:
>
> and:
>
> if X:

Yes :-) but it's wrong. None => 'False'. An instantiated object is 'True'.

But I've got an instantiated object that evaluates 'False'. Every other
object evaluated True.

But I think rather than checking issubclass, I know that the value is
None if it isn't a register.

So I should write "!= None" rather than the longer
"issubclass(register.__class__, DomainObjectRegister)".

Hmmmmmm......

Perhaps I've disturbed the
__builtin__.__masquerade_as_false_even_when_true__() method?

But I think I've been Pythoned again!

Regards,

John.