[kforge-dev] windows problem creating database

Nikolas Bowe nbowe at infinite-interactive.com
Thu Aug 10 00:26:59 UTC 2006

Hi,

when installing kforge 0.11 (latest stable) on windows I get the following error when attempting to create the database

C:\django\kforge>python \Python24\Scripts\kforge-admin db create
Command createdb requires 'kforge' user authentication:
Command failed. Details: Could not execute command
        [createdb -h localhost -U kforge kforge ]
Reason: '{' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

yet creating the db manually works
C:\django\kforge>createdb -h localhost -U kforge kforge
Password:
CREATE DATABASE

I tracked it to command.getstatusoutput
it looks to be this old bug
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-bugs-list/2002-January/009737.html

Interestingly the command also fails with the same error under cygwin (using windows python not cygwin python).
it makes sense because os.popen probably looks for the platform (windows/cygwin) command shell so it still gets back cmd.exe from windows python.
But it still suprised me when I was trying to track it down.
I didnt try with cygwin python.

is kforge meant to work on windows? are there plans for it to run on win?
is there a recommended fix for this issue ?
I dont really want to patch my python if i can help it.

also when the kforge.conf file is created it processes escape codes.
ie should be
templates_dir = c:\python24\share\kforge\templates\kui
but is
templates_dir = c:\python24\share\kforge    emplates\kui
this will probably happen on all platforms but I didnt take a look at the code.
this is probably easy to fix.