[kforge-dev] windows problem creating database

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftwarefoundation.org
Thu Aug 10 18:35:18 UTC 2006

Hi Nikolas,

Thanks a lot for writing.

Nikolas Bowe wrote:

> when installing kforge 0.11 (latest stable) on windows I get the
> following error when attempting to create the database
>
> C:\django\kforge>python \Python24\Scripts\kforge-admin db create
> Command createdb requires 'kforge' user authentication:
> Command failed. Details: Could not execute command
>         [createdb -h localhost -U kforge kforge ]
> Reason: '{' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> yet creating the db manually works
> C:\django\kforge>createdb -h localhost -U kforge kforge
> Password:
> CREATE DATABASE
>

> I tracked it to command.getstatusoutput
> it looks to be this old bug
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-bugs-list/2002-January/009737.html
>
> Interestingly the command also fails with the same error under cygwin
> (using windows python not cygwin python).
> it makes sense because os.popen probably looks for the platform
> (windows/cygwin) command shell so it still gets back cmd.exe from
> windows python.
> But it still suprised me when I was trying to track it down.
> I didnt try with cygwin python.

Very interesting!

> is kforge meant to work on windows?

We haven't attempted to support KForge on Windows, yet.

> are there plans for it to run on win?

No, there is no plan, but we aren't against it.

> is there a recommended fix for this issue ?

Sorry, I don't have a recommendation at this time. But if you can create
the database with the createdb command, can you then run KForge? Or are
you having trouble with the conf file below?

> I dont really want to patch my python if i can help it.
>

> also when the kforge.conf file is created it processes escape codes.

Please can you clarify when kforge.conf is created? I'm not exactly sure
if/when this is happening for you.

> ie should be
> templates_dir = c:\python24\share\kforge\templates\kui
> but is
> templates_dir = c:\python24\share\kforge    emplates\kui
> this will probably happen on all platforms but I didnt take a look at
> the code.

It looks quite broken! But I haven't seen this before. It might be
happening with all platforms, but what do you do to make kforge.conf
look like that? :-)

> this is probably easy to fix.

Yes. :-)

Did you happen to get KForge running after those issues?

Would you like to help us make KForge run on Windows?

Best regards,

John.