[kforge-dev] versions of CKAN dependencies

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Tue Jan 22 13:27:38 UTC 2008

Rufus Pollock wrote:
> John Bywater wrote:
>> Hi Rufus,
>
> I should apologize here. I've just gone back and double-checked and
> for some reason my local development system did not have some updates
> it should have done (I use svk locally and it seems there might have
> been an issue correctly pulling changes from svn which were made on
> the production machine). Having done so I found a couple of bugs (and
> fixed them) as detailed in:
>
> http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/trac/changeset/212
>
> <quote>
> [ckan/misc][s](bugfixes): correct various issues mainly to do with
> development authentication setup which had been missed due to weird
> svk behaviour.
>
> * development.ini,
>   ckan/tests/functional/test_account.py: Update to AuthKit 0.4.0
> requires upgrading of development.ini authkit config and also some
> fixing up of tests.
>
> * ckan/public/images/ckan.sql.gz: this symlink is only needed on
> production machine and breaks python setup.py develop when absent so
> now removed.
> </quote>

Fab! No apology needed. I've updated now and most of the tests pass now.

However, there is still a unicode problem (test_search in test_tag.py)
and an authorisation problem (test_account_login in test_account.py).

But I'll converge on the versions you have, and then see whether there
are still failures.

>> Could you check exactly which versions you've got CKAN running
>> against, for:
>>
>> Pylons
>
> 0.9.6.1
>
>> SQLObject
>
> 0.7.1
>
>> Markdown
>
> 1.5
>
>> Routes
>> Beaker
>> Paste
>> (any others?)
>
> These all come from Pylons 0.9.6.1 so should whatever was required
> there ..

OK, that's great. I'll make sure I develop CKAN against these versions,
at least for now.

I mean, it seems that there is less reason to focus on building CKAN as
a product than with KForge. If knowledge archiving would be distributed,
we would need to make sure that there is a product to download, but
otherwise I wonder whether we should keep the focus on your ckan.net
service, and not worry too much about releasing a ckan product. The main
differences are that we won't spend much effort on compatibility with
different platform configurations, and we won't spend much effort on
making ckan.net specific things general and configurable. What do you
think about this?

>> I've nearly got things running, but still have some strange errors.
>>
>> Like http://127.0.0.1:5000/account/login/ returns a big fat
>> black/grey/green Pylons "Server Error 401" page.
>
> Yes it should have done given that authkit was not working ...
>
>> (Just on the requirements level, might there be a desire to return
>> CKAN-looking pages in such cases?)
>
> Yes, though I would say this was ultra-low priority ...

Sure, I registered this requirement quickly:
http://desire.appropriatesoftware.net/requirements/41/

>> Anyway, it would be a great help to know which versions of things
>> you're running against.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> John.
>>
>> PS Is there a ckan-dev mailing list, or is kforge-dev the place?
>
> Good question. My preference was to move ckan stuff to okfn-help for
> the time being but then I wondered whether we should have a dedicated
> list. Probably the best thing is to move stuff there and if it turns
> out to be 'overwhelming' okfn-help we can split off a dedicated list
> -- this way we avoid premature list proliferation :)

OK, from now on I'll direct emails such as these to okfn-help rather
than kforge-dev.

Best wishes,

John.

--