[kforge-dev] knowledgeforge.net issues (missing Trac file?)

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Fri Sep 11 12:19:04 UTC 2009

Just noticed (again) that when accessing the KForge Trac on
KnowledgeForge, the server was sometimes giving me three basic auth pops
when accessing this page of the KForge Trac service.

http://www.knowledgeforge.net/kforge/trac/changeset/1304

On investigation, firebug tells me that this is not found:

http://www.knowledgeforge.net/kforge/trac/chrome/common/js/jquery.js

This confirmed when I try to access the resource independently. Although
watching what happens in firebug is mildly amusing.... I'm sure it's
quite repeatable. I guess there's really a file missing?

But (if I press the 'cancel' button on the basic auth pop-up) firebug
also says that these are forbidden:

http://www.knowledgeforge.net/kforge/trac/chrome/common/css/code.css
http://www.knowledgeforge.net/kforge/trac/chrome/common/css/changeset.css
http://www.knowledgeforge.net/kforge/trac/chrome/common/topbar_gradient2.png

This does not repeat when accessing the resources independently, just
when they are loaded as part of (e.g.) the changeset page above. Which
suggests Firefox sends different requests? Or at least they are
appearing differently by the time they hit the KForge access controller
on KnowledgeForge.

Anyway, I did that twice with the above results (the first time firebug
was disabled). However, on the fourth loading of the changeset page, the
jquery.js file is suddenly unauthorized (no longer not found), the
topbar_gradient2.png is OK (but the topbar_gradient.png is
triggering the basic auth). Another independent call to the jquery
location indicates that the resource is still not found. Strange.

Perhaps it would make good sense to change KnowlegeForge.net to allow
access to Trac media, without checking the KForge access controller?
It's all public material, and it's slow (and clearly error prone) to
control access for each call. I don't think that's already coded into
the "kforge.plugin.trac.Plugin" class.

John.