[kforge-user] [bug 0.14] Upgrade issue

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Oct 4 11:00:49 UTC 2007

Nicolas Steinmetz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I upgrade kforge with :
>
> sudo easy_install --upgrade
> http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.4/k/kforge/kforge-0.14-py2.4.egg#md5=deff0e8bc0d2eec585ab84fddd2e4019
>
> This part went fine.
>
> Then I read upgrade notes and did :

A semi-bug! If you check there were no upgrade instructions for 0.13 to
0.14. This was because there was no need to upgrade the db or the data
here (just upgrade the data files would be enough). However the old
upgrade code was being run if you did: kforge-admin upgrade db. I've now
fixed instructons in UPGRADE as well as in code and committed the
changes (both to svn and to pypi etc).

> nicos at vds305:~/kforge$ sudo kforge-admin --config=kforge.conf upgrade db
> .
> and it fails as "psql : commmand not found" (I use mysql). So ok you say
> "WARNING: this sql has been tested on postgres only ..." but you should
> provide update script for mysql too (or say that only postgres is
> supported).

This is a general issue. Because we use SQLObject mysql is supported,
plus we have done some specific work to make sure mysql works (checking
for reserved words etc). However none of the main developers use mysql
which means it is possible for bugs to creep in and also makes it hard
to test the Upgrade code (which uses hand written sql) -- which is why
there is the warning there. The solution to this might be to use
SQLObject's facilities for producing sql and/or doing a basic fix on the
upgrade code to use mysql instead of psql when mysql has been specified
as the db provider.

> I'm also curious why it's not 0.14 in :
>               UPDATE system SET version = '0.13';

Because that is the upgrade script for 0.13. I've now put in the correct
upgrade code (which is very minor all it does is upgrade the system
version).

> Can you provide a fix ?

Committed to subversion and uploaded to pypi etc.

> Nicolas
>
> PS : I was surprised to see that 0.14 was released whereas it was not
> mentionned on user list (we had only expected release date from John).

Apologies here Nicholas. This should have been sent through to the list
but was not -- possibly the result of doing a release late on a Friday
afternoon ;)

> PPS : I'm on the way to write a PKGBUILD for ArchLinux to install kforge
> through pacman (arch's package manager)

That would be fantastic.

~rufus