[knowledgeforge-user] maintenance work

Mark Longair mark-knowledgeforge at mythic-beasts.com
Wed Feb 3 12:53:36 UTC 2010

John,

John Bywater <john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net> wrote:

> Mark Longair wrote:
>> Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
[...]
>> This means that finally I have a "git svn" import of the whole
>> of ukparse, which is a joy :)  (The repository with complete
>> history is 9GB while the working tree is 23GB.)
>>
>> I hope that's of some use.
>>
>> regards,
>> mark
>>
>> P.S.  Short of actually fixing the mod_dav_svn bug, the other
>> possible workaround we discussed was to patch kforge to offer
>> subversion over the svn protocol as well as the HTTP-based
>> transport.  Obviously that's much more work, though.
>
> Very interesting notes. Another option would be to convert your
> Subversion repository to Git. http://blog.notahat.com/posts/25

Well, the point was that the "git svn clone" operation that
forms part of those instructions was previously impossible due
to the memory leak...

Now that I've got over that hurdle it would be fairly trivial
technically to migrate it to git, but there are so many projects
that use ukparse that any migration would have to be coordinated
very carefully.  As far as I know this hasn't been even been
discussed, and it may not be seen as desirable.

(I'm currently helping with migrating mySociety's projects from
CVS to git.)

regards,
mark