[MyData & Open Data] This man thinks big data and privacy can co-exist, and here’s his plan

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Thu Aug 29 11:33:38 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:27:49AM +0100, Amir Chaudhry wrote:
> > When I wondered if he was deluded, I was referring to his quote, "Look at the service Snapchat. People want the possibility to send photographs which destroy themselves. There is a basic human need that you don’t want to leave traces all the time on the net."
> >
> > See http://gibsonsec.org/snapchat/
> >
> > There really may not be anything completely guaranteed. We just may have to settle for good enough being good enough, or some other social and cultural expectation adjustment.
>

> How does that statement make him deluded?  I read that quote as (1) the existence and growth of a service like Snapchat is evidence that (2) people understand and want to send ephemeral pics.  That this particular service isn't properly secure doesn't change his claim that people evidently want such services.

ephemeral data cannot be guaranteed, it is deluded at best and snakeoil at
worst. as soon as i have access to it i can copy it. see a very good parallel
in the entertainment maffia trying to push DRM onto us, same problem,
perfectly explained back in the years by Cory on the MS campus:
http://craphound.com/msftdrm.txt

the only truly ephemeral pics are the one stored without backups on old CDROMs
that have already degraded and contain lot's of unrecoverable decayed data.

--
pgp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/stef.gpg
pgp fp: FD52 DABD 5224 7F9C 63C6  3C12 FC97 D29F CA05 57EF