[MyData & Open Data] The Real Privacy Problem

Pierre Chrzanowski pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 01:27:21 UTC 2013

I just read this Morozov's article on privacy and democracy in the MIT Tech
Review
http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/520426/the-real-privacy-problem/

It is dated october but I did not find any previous mention of it on this
list ... but I may be wrong. And I thought it would be a good piece to add
to the debate.

Morozov raises very pertinent and thoughtful points about the fact that we
may be wrong in considering privacy's right as an end in itself and not in
the context of what is even more important, the society as whole. He argues
then that it is the day-to-day practice and defense of democracy in the
digital age that should drive us towards the right balance.

He calls then for the right to experimentations, for the need to think
ahead on subjects such as the intersection of technology and public policy
design and eventually for the necessity to civic reaction which is the
expression of democracy because, beyond the rules, right to privacy only
exists when someone invokes it.

<http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/520426/the-real-privacy-problem/>
--
*Pierre Chrzanowski*