[MyData & Open Data] this group's thoughts on definitions

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Tue Dec 24 13:54:06 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 05:13:46PM -0400, Song, Stephen wrote:
> Perhaps differential access sounds like heresy in an Open Data forum.  I
> hope not.

can you define differential access? does that imply we have an elite that can
access data, while others are barred? what kind of data are we talking about?
public or private (as in my previous definitions)

if you're referring to differential privacy, i'm schizophrenic about it. i
love the application of crypto, maths, and proofs. however, the problem is,
differential privacy is only an oracle in front of the same unprotected data.
it does not solve the problem that this data is collected, does have value,
will leak, adversaries will circumvent the path provided to normal citizens,
and have access to the unanonymized data.

--
pgp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/stef.gpg
pgp fp: FD52 DABD 5224 7F9C 63C6  3C12 FC97 D29F CA05 57EF