[MyData & Open Data] this group's thoughts on definitions

Sam smith s at msmith.net
Tue Dec 24 16:21:18 UTC 2013

>> On 24 Dec 2013, at 13:54, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 05:13:46PM -0400, Song, Stephen wrote:
>> Perhaps differential access sounds like heresy in an Open Data forum.  I
>> hope not.
>
> can you define differential access? does that imply we have an elite that can
> access data, while others are barred? what kind of data are we talking about?
> public or private (as in my previous definitions)

If data exists, some people should have access to it, otherwise there's no point in it existing.

What should the rules on that access be?

How much transparency is enough?

If you let academics do legitimate research in the public interest, is it enough that heir proposal, data used, and outputs should all be fully transparent to the public? If you restrict what can be done within the system (no memory sticks, make sure that the people who type the list are on the list), where are the problem areas?

Is there not a legitimate case for those with standing on a topic to transparently use data to benefit those within it? How do you let obesity researches in, and keep McDonald's out?

What the legitimate cases look like, affect the grey areas and how they are policed and protected.

Sam