[MyData & Open Data] this group's thoughts on definitions

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Tue Dec 24 22:45:48 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 04:21:18PM +0000, Sam smith wrote:
> >> On 24 Dec 2013, at 13:54, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 05:13:46PM -0400, Song, Stephen wrote:
> >> Perhaps differential access sounds like heresy in an Open Data forum.  I
> >> hope not.
> >
> > can you define differential access? does that imply we have an elite that can
> > access data, while others are barred? what kind of data are we talking about?
> > public or private (as in my previous definitions)
>
> If data exists, some people should have access to it, otherwise there's no point in it existing.

exactly, but then this is only the 2nd step. first is to identify the subjects
of the data collection, show that data collection is necessary and
proportional. violating dataminimization should be very much scrutinized.

> What should the rules on that access be?

the 1st question should be, do we really have to collect this data?

> How much transparency is enough?

how much transparency, depends on the subject. transparency is only necessary
for people having power over society. anyone else should be protected to the
maximum.

> If you let academics do legitimate research in the public interest, is it enough that heir proposal, data used, and outputs should all be fully transparent to the public?

if the research is funded by public money yes. if not its a different story
leading us to copyright, patents and trademarks, which is also highly in need
of rethinking.

> If you restrict what can be done within the system (no memory sticks, make sure that the people who type the list are on the list), where are the problem areas?
>
> Is there not a legitimate case for those with standing on a topic to transparently use data to benefit those within it? How do you let obesity researches in, and keep McDonald's out?

obesity research is a bad example, as obesity is a result of another industry
making short-term profits while externalising the costs onto the public. so
obesity research is researching the symptom not the cause, and as such an
industry diversion tactic.

> What the legitimate cases look like, affect the grey areas and how they are policed and protected.

i see there's still no clear understanding what categories there are of data.

1. protected private data, is any data pertaining to persons that hold no
power over society.
2. public data: any data pertaining to persons in roles that hold power over
society.
3. public data: any data that is publicly funded and does not pertain to
persons covered in 1.

private research is totally irrelevant in this regard and covered by
antiquated intellectual property regimes.

--
pgp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/stef.gpg
pgp fp: FD52 DABD 5224 7F9C 63C6  3C12 FC97 D29F CA05 57EF