[MyData & Open Data] distinctions between personal and open

Andy Turner A.G.D.Turner at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Jul 3 07:11:36 UTC 2013

Hi,

In my view the classes of MyData and Open Data overlap.

Issues of ownership and access control are important in this. I think it is important for individuals and agencies empowered by individuals and working for the benefit of us all to control the access to personal data.

One might want to readily share medical records for epidemiology research, but be less willing to share it with insurers or advertisers even though these might offer us personally beneficial things.

If you own and use a mobile phone or credit card, various companies are collecting information about you and they use this not only to provide you with a better service (including better anti-fraud measures), but this data in raw and aggregated forms is very useful for target marketing.

Likewise there is other data about people's movements and interaction with public services that is collected by different organisations as people go about their lives. Travel cards and benefits cards are in common use.

Aggregated data that is based on personal data generally loses the link to the individual records.

Personal data can be pseudo-annonymised whereby individuals are assigned a code and their main identifying information such as their name and national insurance number are removed. A linkage file containing the key and main identifying information can then be kept for data linking purposes, and for use cases of alerting individuals to danger.

Much of the data I have considered while writing this is not open data in its purest sense, in that it could be downloaded and re-used without control. I have learned to live with a more complex definition of the terms open data. Doing the same with personal data is perhaps the best way forward, though I appreciate that there are some that strongly believe that data about an individual should be owned and controlled by that individual.

HTH

Andy
http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/people/a.turner/index.html