[MyData & Open Data] My Data, Our Data, Their Data

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Fri Mar 15 17:27:32 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 11:14:31AM -0300, Song, Stephen wrote:
> What would be helpful is a framework of some sort for thinking through
> these issues.  Does such a thing exist?

i know only of the
i use the german ccc's hackerethics last rule:
 "Öffentliche Daten nützen, private Daten schützen."
 http://www.ccc.de/en/hackerethics

"utilize public data, protect private data"

where i usually distinguish public data by
 1. is it data on individuals with limited power over society (e.g. social
   well-fare recipients should be private, while the salary of deans and
   bankers must be public)
 2. is it funded by public money?

where the first point trumps the 2nd if weak individuals are affected. this is
nicely condensed by this yochai benkler quote i already dropped earlier:

> privacy=protection of weak from scrutiny by powerful. Transparency=exposure of
> powerful to scrutiny by weak.

the second rule comes mostly from the "public administrations" section of the
free culture forum: http://fcforum.net/charter_extended

i'm sure there are much better distinctions, but for me this is simple enough
to decide most of the time.

cheers,s

--
pgp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/stef.gpg
pgp fp: FD52 DABD 5224 7F9C 63C6  3C12 FC97 D29F CA05 57EF